[A6] new or old andromeda

Tim Kleinert slimtim at bluewin.ch
Sun Dec 12 02:31:49 PST 2004

Shawn,

I bought a new Andromeda a month ago and have zero problems with it.

The notion that newer production runs (those of the "Numark-Alesis" era)
are of inferior quality doesn't make sense to me, as the manufacture of
the Andy is outsourced to Taiwan anyway. And it is very unlikely that
they actively downscaled the quality specs of the ASIC chips, as that
would require modifying the whole chip production setup, which is very
expensive to do.

IMO, buying new gives 2 advantages:

1) Well, it's new, obviously :)
2) potential flaws will manifest within a short time -while the unit is
still under warranty. If your Andy is a lemon, it will show quite
quickly.

Therefore, thoroughly test your new unit in the beginning. I thoroughly
checked the autotune protocol everytime after the first few warm-ups,
and still do so occasionally. You might want to ask your dealer to
perform a few such tests before shipping the unit to you -just to be on
the safe side.

Anyway, remember: this is an _analogue_ synth! People get worked up if
their autotune protocol says eg. "too high" in some voice somewhere. But
consider that the very same kind and amount of deviation occurs in _all_
analogue polysynths.  It's just that the Andys tuning routine is
elaborate (and honest!) enough to let you know about this.

tim