[A6] re some waveform observations III

Chris Pickett chris.pickett at mail.mcgill.ca
Sat Dec 11 12:06:19 PST 2004

Shawn O. wrote:
> I have been looking into getting an a6 for some time now, some things
> have been bothering me,. namely posts on AH where people get lemons
> quite often that need asics replaced or have constant really bad tuning
> problems and now I see that. you mentioned that the controllers "step"

Try and get a used one from someone who's played it and can vouch for it
being a working unit.  A fairly large percentage of new ones are bad.

> I was hoping the andromeda could be a main analgoue workstation for me ,
> where i could use its multi treble (mix ) settings to drive 16 different
> mono synth patched , (bass kick drum, snare, bass lines, FXl, and pads
> etc.)

You can, except you should be aware that:
   1) the effects are not that great (inc. distortion)
   2) the effects are even less great in mix mode (same for all patches)
   3) pads and strings and long-lasting sounds eat up polyphony
   4) The MIDI implementation can be a pain to work with

> it sounds that if you get into tweaking filters, envilopes and such that
> you wont get a smooth transition.

That's not really true.  The stepping is only noticeable to me some of
the time, and I think you can work around it.

> would i be better off getting a jupiter 8 ?

I can't comment, I haven't owned or played one.  I love my A6 for what
it can do, even with the various annoyances.  All synths are going to
have annoyances.  Maybe leo / sunny can tell us about the differences,
both in terms of sound and usability.

Chris