[A6] SRAM problems

Chris Pickett chris.pickett at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Apr 21 08:50:20 PDT 2004

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 11:06:59AM -0400, Kyle Jarger wrote:
> Hi List and Yannis,
>
> I have a similar problem too, with a new PreTec 2MB card (I don't have any other cards, so I have no idea if my A6 could use other cards successfully).  In my case it seemed to not save to the card even though I never unplugged it from the slot or turned the unit off.  I haven't really had a chance to play with it and figure out the behavior, but I did follow the steps in the manual and I am familiar with the use of PCMCIA and Smartmedia cards.  All I can say for now is that I did what I thought would initialize and place a memory bank on the card, and later when I accessed the card I was told it was not initialized.  Could it be that our OS's are out of date?  Mine is 1.40.02.  The card is seen by the A6 upon boot-up (it flashes on the display that the card is there, and is 2M in size).  Someone who was over visiting noticed that my A6 seemed to take a much longer time than his to boot-up and get going; maybe that has something to do with it.  Any assistance from the list would be much appreciated.

Make sure the card isn't write-protected.  Also, if it's very old,
maybe the battery is dead.  It might also be under warranty.  Finally,
you may as well upgrade your OS to the latest 1.40.12 version.  I
heard some rumour about an unofficial 1.40.13 version somewhere I
_think_, but it wasn't something worth upgrading to (that could be
rubbish, mind you).

Hope this helps,
Chris