[A6] a6 wiki

Susan Baird susanbaird at nc.rr.com
Fri Mar 4 00:12:47 PST 2005

Well Joan/Chris, I just started writing an email regarding this subject
when I saw your posts come in. Since you've opened the door I'll do
this here which is probably better anyway.

My job has totally prevented me from getting the T&T done, not to
mention music. It's been very frustrating. Now my life is about to take
a 180 degree turn - I have a once in a lifetime opportunity to quit my
job and do music professionally and I have to go there. I am simply not
going to be able to continue with the T&T. I hate not being able to
finish what I started but I guess that's life. My sincere apologies to
all.

I initially set it up in Quark on a Mac, designed it to look like the
home page, and Boele helped with some formatting. At the beginning I
had a discussion with Boele - if I ever had to stop he would be able to
take it over since he also uses Quark on a Mac. However, without asking
him directly, I know that his job is equally consuming. It may be that
if someone fed him the edited T&T posts from the Word document he would
be able to put them into the Quark document and thus keep that document
if that is what you want. Or possibly there is someone else with
Quark/Mac/OSX who could do it. Otherwise, a wiki would be the way to
go.

I do think that a group effort in some form or fashion is the only way
to keep up with it all. It's really just too much with the last 4 years
of catch up plus trying to keep current. I have also been thinking that
HTML is the way to go as people can print that just as easily as they
can print a pdf. So yes, I'm thinking a wiki is the way to go for all
of those documents. I was concerned about the comment spam, duplicate
posting, etc. but after just reading Chris' comments about back ups, I
think wiki will work.

I have 2 months to help make the transition to whatever we need to do
before I'll be moving. If we can please work something out I would
really appreciate it and I'll do whatever I can to help make it happen.
I will also be wrapping up my job and packing, etc. but I will do the
best I can.

Here's where it stands. I've extracted all of the T&T from the archives
from Jan. 1, 2001 (where Chad left off) to Jan 1, 2004. They are
copied/pasted into a Word document and laid out clearly by date up to
Jan. 1, 2004. I started editing/copy/pasting them into the new Quark
document. I managed to get all of Jan, 2001 and half of 2002 done. The
additions to Quark are in red and they are checked off in red in the
Word document. So, it's pretty organized. At the same time I was
working on the other documents - the FAQ, Start Guide, and Bugs/Wish
list, adding to them as I went down through the Word document. All of
them are in progress and won't be complete until we are caught up to
the current postings. With a group effort and divided tasks it could
all be pulled together fairly quickly I think.

I do work with HTML but have not used wiki before. I don't want to
commit to anything else unless I know I can follow through but
certainly I want to participate and help out as much as I can. I
believe I can have the FAQ ready before I move so at least that can go
online.

Regards,
Sioux