[A6]Audio anomalies on some presets

tomislav babic clusterchord at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 14 21:23:46 PDT 2004

>From: "Colin Chung" <coolcolj at optushome.com.au>
>Ok I figured it out - its caused by LFO2 modulating the filter mixer level
>when you turn the mod wheel up, not the panning itself.
>  if you lower the level of the modulation Filter 2
>from 37 or so down to say 28, it goes away.

thx. i'll try that.

>As far as the envelopes go, make sure both units have the same settings
>in the engine optimiser, other than that I can't see why they would be any
>different since the envelopes are CPU generated

I agree it isn't logical, but still...   three people listened and we all
agreed. btw, engine optimizer settings are remembered PER patch, i compared
maybe twenty different Presets (using sam engine
opt. settings, obviously) on both machines. mine was always a bit slower and
darker. but all this is
no suprise sonsidering the other QC issues with Alesis synth...

>maybe your VCAs need calibration

i always calibrate everything, 5-10min after start-up.

>From: "glenn eriksson" <anykeystudio at hotmail.com>
>To: a6 at code404.com
>Subject: RE: [A6]Audio anomalies on some presets
>Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:41:35 +0200
>
>This is no fault; this is what happens when you combine two sound sources.

oh c'mon...   i had/have many analog polyphonics. None of them displayed so
much LF garble
and distortion in high register, no matter if i used 1,2 or even 4
oscillators. I think people who say
A6 lfo's and PW/PWM are crap, are right on the money.

>It’s called intonation (in English I think)
>try to listen to just one Vco and se if you get the same result. examples
>and it’s not that bad, it’s normal.

you probably think of "interference" and "beating". true, those sounds
require a greater
dynamic range, and a higher quality VCA. but quality is what you expect when
buying
an over 2K synth... and A6 vca and pre-filter mix distort quite easily.

as i said before,this behaviour may be normal for A6, but not so much for
analog synths in general.

Thanks CCJ, Kurt and Glenn for the answers. They just confirmed what i
thought. it's a design fault, maybe a bit more/less pronounced on different
Andromedas, but still there...

Tom
clusterchord at hotmail.com
www.babic.com