[A6] keyboard sustain/switch, cv, MIDI, and volume pedals

Chris Pickett chris.pickett at mail.mcgill.ca
Mon Dec 20 15:21:04 PST 2004

MelloT at aol.com wrote:

> Ernie Ball pedals, but am unsure about specific  models.
>

> Of course, stereo is a prerequisite for most of us, that's an important
> factor. I would say (having owned many such pedals) that you should TRY one  first
> - see how it feels. It can be tried with any keyboard, not just the A6.  The
> two things to check are (1) pedal mechanics (how far it moves, and how it
> feels to your foot - stable, loose, stiff) and (2) Volume swell - I have had
> several pedals that "sweep" very suddenly (guitar pedals do this) or have most
> of their travel in the bottom range. Any of this can be good, depending on your
>  needs.
>
> Some people use a volume pedal as expression - it brings dynamics to your
> playing. You use it like a mixer fader. Other people use it as an On/Off  system
> for muting. I have found I like the BOSS pedals - they have a  "minimum
> volume" setting - a knob on the side that sets the  bottom of the pedal at any
> range - so you can sweep from full to half, etc. Or  full off, but I rarely need
> the keyboard fully off - I just need different  levels of volume and this gives
> me a WIDE range across the pedal - just to go  from half to full...

Thanks for the advice on things to look for.  Unfortunately the one
music store near me isn't very good and they just try and sell you cheap
consumer stuff, which leaves me looking to buy online, for the most
part, and trusting others opinions.

If I bought a volume pedal I would definitely want it for expression.

I'd also be interested in good MIDI organ keys, if they exist.

It's strange -- I've asked this question in many different places now,
and this is the only response I've gotten (so thank-you for that).  I
had assumed many synth players had these kind of things.

Cheers,
Chris