[A6] only just OT

vespine at netspace.net.au vespine at netspace.net.au
Wed Dec 8 17:22:45 PST 2004

Richard..

I don't think I can really imagine 'your situation' so this may be completely
useless BUT I have a Dave Smith Instruments (DSI) evolver, and I know quite a
few people on this list do too (maybe you already have one too).. I think it's
a great little unit. It isn't rack mounted (I think there is a new 'poly
evolver' which IS rack) mine is a little 'desk unit' and for a 'monosynth' it
is incredibly versatile. It has four oscillators (2VA and 2 real analogue).
It's got quite nice noise and distortion and a setting called HACK which is
nice.. It's got a decent step sequencer which can be routed to just about
anything and each voice can be triggered individually so some patches really
have four distinct parts even though it is technically a monosynth. Besides,
you generally only use mono patches for a wind controller anyway, don't you?
Anyway, like I said, this may not be what your after but if you haven't played
around with one I recommend you do before you make a decision. You can check it
out here: http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/
Cheers.
-Andee.