[A6] New to the list -hi everybody

Tim Kleinert slimtim at bluewin.ch
Sat Dec 4 02:51:34 PST 2004

Hi A6-listmembers,

I just wanted to drop a line to introduce myself to this list.

Some of you may recognize me from other forums (notably TGS or
electro-music.com) or mailing lists.

I'm a professional pianist/keyboardist and conservatory educator as well
as passionate sound designer.

As I'm basically a "player", I'm primarily most interested in
_musical_tone_: those indescribable qualities that define good musical
instruments. So, naturally, these are the things I seek foremost in
synthesizers too, as I treat them like musical performance instruments
in their own right. And without wanting to trigger (pun intended) the
inconclusive digital vs. analogue discussions, I just want to say that
-through much trial and error- I personally have come to the conclusion
that the specific sonic qualities of analogue instruments are superior
in that respect.

Enter the Andromeda: I've had it since three weeks, and it's been almost
an epiphany. It has single-handedly improved my whole musical direction
within a very short time, and all I want to say is that it has triggered
an ongoing process of fundamental change, from a mainly digital-based
setup back to analogue. It just feels right. (Oh -and call me nuts, but
I just ordered two more: another one for the rig and a backup...)

However -I already have some questions: as much as I love the Andy
soundwise, the hardware aspect doesn't feel reassuring. The pots and
buttons seem a bit frail and I'm always anxious to break something.
Maybe it's because I'm used to the Prophet5, which has exceptionally
sturdy pots and switches. I'll be touring with the Andies next year, and
will have a specially fitted hardcase made for them. And I've also
spotted Andies in the rigs of some touring keyboardists, so they seem to
hold up well. But still -I'm somehow just anxious that something will go
kaput. Maybe I'm just being unnecessarily nervy about this. I really
love these synths and do not want anything to happen to them...

Anyway -I'd love to sooner or later invest money in having my Andies
modded with better pots and anything else beneficial to their longevity.
Does anybody know anything about the pot footprints on the panel PCB? Is
the wobbliness of the pots due to their own construction or to the way
they are mounted? Is it easy to replace pots? And is there a more sturdy
substitute pot available? Glad for suggestions or input.

Kind regards,
tim/shoshin