[A6] QLSO pros and con on MAC OS X

Cyril Blanc blanc.cyril at wanadoo.fr
Fri Apr 30 07:21:14 PDT 2004

Hi

     Because I was complaining that there was still problems with QLSO
Kontakt/Kompakt  and Logic I have been banned from QLSO forum. It is now 5
month I have bought QLSO and it is still unusable using the QLSO/Kompakt
player

    If you read this list you must be aware that the mails that are relating
problems are deleted by the list holder Douglas Rogers, people complaining
are banned from the list ; Douglas Rogers is working for East West.

    You have also to be aware is that Doug Rogers says he has no problem on
it¹s G5, none of the G5 user¹s have QLSO working with the QLSO/Kompakt
player. This guy also said to everybody to buy a 10 000 rpm disk ; users
that did it did not solve there problem.

    In the best answers of this guy (we say ³perle² in French) :
    - Increase the memory allocated to Logic in OS X
    - To a G4 user buy the SATA 10 000 rpm disk
    - To a G4 user buy 1 GB module ram
    - Logic and Kontakt is able to go over the 2 GB limit of OS X
    - and many other

    There are still many problems with this product using it with Logic and
Cubase, problems where related with Protools too by other user. I have also
heard the GPO users are having many problems, and that OS 9 version is
unusable.

So my advise is that you wait to buy this product until majors bugs are
fixed

For Cubase, Protools and DP users :
Being a Logic user, I have just post this message to inform you so you do
not get caught, I will not be able to read your answer unless you put me
directly in copy

You can join the QLSO ³free² forum where you will be able to report all your
problems and to get help : http://groups.yahoo.com/group/qlso/

Please find after the list of problems an improvements needed

Cyril Blanc

Independent Quantum Leap Symphony orchestra forum (QLSO) for Mac
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/qlso/"
Petition :  ³Support of the APPLE LaserWriter 300 in MAC OS X²
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/Ap1c1/petition.html

---------------------------------------

QLSO Platinum :

- There is a lot of articulation missing like :
    Piz for viola, ³up and down bow type ³articulations for cello and double
bass ....
- Key switched program are a not homogenised in one instrument category
- Documentation is hopeless compared to the one of VSL
- No legato tools
- Voice polyphony problems with fast parts (this problem is also listed in
Kontakt as I don¹t know who is responsible for it)

Kontakt 1.5.2 problems with Logic on a G5 2x2

List of bugs/improvements  needed :
- Memory handling ;
  -- the memory used increase while you play ; goes to a Logic crash if you
are on the 2 GB limit
  -- VM is not allocated during load ; this give core audio overload
  -- When you load a song that has been created on another computer with
other DFD settings Logic is crashing
  -- I have put the DFD parameters to maximum, load my test song instead to
get a low memory message Logic is crashing !
-  Very slow loading (10 minutes to load my autoload song)
- Take ages to find the samples when importing a song from another computer
; this function need improvement
- After I have play around 30 minutes of my Logic t est song I get an Error
of sync between Midi and Audio.
- playing Fast notes are having problems (use more than 120 voices) i.e.
tympani roll !
- Not enough voices
- Key switches using the EXS format does not work
- Simplify DFD settings depending of CPU and disk
- Automation parameters are not in clear

Kontakt Stand alone :
   -- dead loop when changing midi channels in the pref

KOMPAKT Standalone

1) a few times I had a dead loop, in the log I had a lot of :
*** malloc: vm_allocate(size=8421376) failed (error code=3)
*** malloc[894]: error: Can't allocate region

This appends when you go in the setup menu
If my memory is good that was a bug of a previous version of Kompakt.

2) When you play with the mouse on the keyboard of the SO instrument you get
click when you release the key

3) When I load 1 SOSTRING + 1 SOBRASS+ 1 SOWIND with the multi I have send
and I play on the keyboard there are the following problems
* the sound is horrible
* One of the module had just 2 outputs ( the other have 14 outputs)

SO String in Logic on a G5 2x2
I use the C 18V Key switch C0-D0
I have a part in the test song starting at 1682 to 1713 for the violin 1
where the violin is playing ³double croches² at tempo 146
The voice counter goes up to 33 playing one note at a time, when I reduce
the voice limit the sound is no so good.

Logic problems :

- I get DFD noises
- Logic does not launch the autoload song
- When I load a song with a SOSTRING and a SOBRASS in one song, Logic
crashes

Using Kompakt

- When you change the ³Kompakt² to no-plug ins a multi-instrument Logic is
crashing