[A6] loading sysex patch banks

Doug Pearson jasret at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 1 09:42:07 PDT 2003

At 08:09 PM 6/30/03 -0400, Chris Pickett <chris.pickett at mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> [...]

That's a weird one to play, since the ENV levels are 0 through the ADS
stages, so it only sounds when you release the keys from the board (R
stage).  I never quite got the hang of that ...

I know there's a copy of the preset on my A6, but I'm going to be out of
the country for two weeks, so you shouldn't rely on my for one.

>i know most of you are probably thinking, "the presets are so crappy, who
>cares?", but i want to be able to play this thing properly before i start
>making patches, and so having all the presets i can really helps.
>besides, a few of them are really not too bad, and others make good
>starting points.

There are unquestionably some *excellent* presets that come with the A6
(some of which I use on a regular basis, even though I mostly used
custom-programmed ones), it's just that the really good ones are a minority.

>by the way ... does anybody actually use the mix banks?  are they an
>overlooked feature?  it seems like they could be a lot of fun in a live
>situation.

I've found very little use for the mix banks that come with the machine
(except as examples of how to set up a mix), but IMHO the A6 would be
*worthless* as a live performance synthesizer without the mix
function.  When I play the A6 live with any non-improv band (shameless
plug: next such occurrence at Bimbo's 365 Club, San Francisco, sat. July
19th, with Devo tribute band "Mongoloid"), there's a separate mix named for
each song on the setlist.  I definitely use the mix function A LOT.

         -Doug
          jasret at mindspring.com