[A6] fm instability

Chad Gould Chad_Gould at Jabil.com
Wed Nov 27 11:02:55 PST 2002

>> yeah mike, i have noticed, that FM on the a6 allows very strong
modulation.
but imho it is somewhat strange that this all important feature has not been
really
well implemented. <<

Early in the beginning (May of last year seems so long ago :) ), I noticed
that the VCAs for the FM modulation could not be autotuned; Mike as you see
confirmed. It does unfortunately limit the FM to single-voice and FX
applications IMHO; a nice bell sound I created with FM and sine oscs could
not be made poly with reliable tuning and tracking. A bit of a shame, it
would be nice to have this feature. The only way to get some of the
applications of FM in a poly mode to me is the built-in ring modulator -
ring modulation of course is AM, not FM, but has the "bell-like tone" aspect
at least.

And the sound of analog FM is quite different than digital FM (at least the
digital FM envisioned by the Yamaha carrier-modulation method). We all
should know that. :)