[A6] fm instability

Mike Peake peake at pacificnet.net
Wed Nov 27 09:24:50 PST 2002

I'm the reason, if I may be bold, that the
FM paths are there. It's one of my contributions
and the team were quite understanding in fulfilling
my requests for them (as well as not laughing
at the signal path chart; when you see the
nest of paths that exist, your first instinct
is to reduce the clutter). Not everything on
the synth is what was intended from
the beginning, as is the case in many projects,
yet it is there for what it's worth. FM is
very important to me, even if it's uncalibrated.
The VCAs, for some reason, were not looped back
into the feedback path which allows the computer
to calibrate things. I don't remember if this
was due to an impossibility (chip layout) or
not.

We saw the forest, but did not have the time
nor the resources to shape it into Bonzai.

I know. It would be nice. It was an enormous
project as it was. If one day it were possible
to hand-tune the FM VCAs, it would rock.

Easier,

-Mike