[A6] This whole tuning business

cgould11 at tampabay.rr.com cgould11 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue May 11 06:14:57 PDT 2004

> F.A.S. Truhan III wrote:
> > 	A fact Waldorf has worked very hard to keep hidden until very
> > recently is that the Pulse uses DCO IC chips, whereas the A6 uses VCO ASIC
> > chips. In other words you're comparing Juno 106's to Prophet 5's, apples
> > and oranges, etc.
> Well, I was really just curious, and I certainly wasn't
> complaining :-)

The Pulse to me is proof that DCO synths sound good, but I know some that would disagree with that statement. That's why the A6 was made VCO. :)

> > 	So I'd say: 1.) Turn 'Temp Tuning' on, 2.) keep 'Background Tuning' off,
> > 3.) Hit 'Autotune' as soon as it powers up, 4.) Let it heat up for a half
> > hour or so, 5.) Hit 'Autotune' again, 6.) Make noise. Rinse, repeat as
> > necessary.
> OK, gotcha. Thanks for the tips!

... You really don't need to be that rigid with tuning the Andromeda, depending on the model you get. The model I have sometimes, heaven forbid, actually powers on pretty darn tuned with Temp Tune on.

In a good, temp-stable environment, I will usually autotune the Andromeda after about 5 minutes (basically after I set up my synths). If the temp doesn't fluctuate (eg my computer room), usually it will stay in tune for, well, as long as I can think of.

Many if not most clubs have junk power sources, nasty ground (my Andromeda *hates* nasty grounds and is always running on a 2-prong adapter as a result), and temperature that loves to fluctuate when they turn on the hot stage lights above you. In that environment, I retune after every set.

If you leave Temp Tune off, you'll definitely have to let the machine warm up first. IMHO it is not worth it to leave Temp Tune off.