[A6] re some waveform observations III

Chris Pickett chris.pickett at mail.mcgill.ca
Fri Dec 10 15:47:55 PST 2004

Dr. Georg Müller wrote:
> leo schrieb:
>

>>i still feel that a present range of +/- 3cents (Immediatly after
>>autotuning) ,with modern technology could and should have been fixed!
>>regarding the prices of chips a manual calibrationfunction  in this
>>respect might have been the cheapest way out.
>

> I fully recognise your point here, since my studio is still in the
> move boxes I can´t check your sounds with my A6, but I do not really
> understand fully, why you are so keen on the perfect tuning.
>
> I have some synths that tune perfectly, namely all those DCO synths
> or digital ones and perfect tuning is reality there, they sound
> mostly dull or un-animated compared to the real analogs I have.

I guess the question is, do these problems make a difference when you go
to play live or to record, or is it only a nit-picky thing that bothers
you when you sit there and try to reproduce it?  If you're going to
leave off either one of temp. tuning or background tuning anyway, then
it would seem to be a non-issue.

I mean look at an orchestra.  None of the instruments are perfectly in
tune with each other, and many of them have different tuning scales
anyway, making a perfect tuning across all notes impossible ... but it
still sounds great!

Personally I'm more concerned with the fact that all of the controllers
step, and sometimes you can really hear it.  Not just when you twist the
oscillator knobs, but sometimes if the ribbon controls something like
filter frequency, it has this annyoing quantization and I really was
that was continuous.

Cheers,
Chris