[A6] Andromeda and Micron?

cgould11 at tampabay.rr.com cgould11 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Dec 2 07:05:04 PST 2004

> You could look for a used ION and have a ball
> programming. It's MUCH easier than the A6 to
> program.

Sure. But there's a reason for that. Despite the
Ion / Micron having a decent amount of complexity,
sonically I find that, in general, I can do quite a
bit more with the Andromeda, and it sounds better.
Not that the Micron is a bad synth, it's actually
quite a good VA. But I still think of it as sort of
like comparing a Juno 106 and a Jupiter 8, the
Micron being the Juno and the A6 being the Jupiter
of course. The Micron is fun for sketchpads (the
small keyboard makes it easy) and the times where
you need sounds that "fit in", but sonically and
complexity wise it ain't the same. :)

I was hoping that the MIDI spec was up to par on the
Micron so you could create a nice "knob" interface
on the computer. Alas, the Sysex seems limited to
dumps. A pity. The Oberheim Matrix 1000 for
instance could modify individual parameters via
Sysex, so you could get away with pseudo-realtime
editing.

You (at this time) lose the sequencer / arpeggiator
with the Ion as well, it's only on the Micron right
now.