[A6] Andromeda and Micron?

Richard richard at chorlton.com
Wed Dec 1 01:35:16 PST 2004

"Too bad the MicroModular can't output sequences"

Amen to that, the size is right too, the fact that it does about a billion
other things justifies its existence though... simarlarly the evolver, which
does now have a midi seq out but is less than satisfactory... maybe a nord
G2 engine might fit your budget? Too much for me, though maybe one day...

Chris suggested the  Oberheim Cyclone, which I'd never actually heard of but
looks interesting, I think fairly cheap and easy to get hold of but maybe a
bit archaic and fiddly to operate? I'd like something really simple and
transparent... the A6 and Akai MPC4k have already used up all my
brainpower...

partly I am looking for an excuse to buy a micron because they're mega cute
and i just want one, but I'm also pretty broke and feel like I hardly do
justice to the amazing instruments I already own so I am also resisting that
gear acquiring side of my personality...

but I do I find the A6 arp/seq too limited and the fact that you can't
easily exchange sequences between patches is a fatal - I repeat fatal -
limitation on a digitally controlled synth. But I had the experience of
triggering the A6 from the korg micron arp this week, changing arps and
patches on the fly  and it was a revelation, somehow reminding me yet again
how truly marvellous the A6 sounds... oh, and it was actually fun... other
than that I pretty much hate the microkorg, its tinny and brittle and has
silly little keys; its just about the least analogue modelled thing I've
heard... of course it does have a vocoder :)

Richard