[A6] A very basic mod question

David Evans dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Sat May 10 08:27:10 PDT 2003

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 06:40:46AM -0500, Don P wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion, I really don't want the tremolo to be active
> all the time, just when I use after touch.

  Then the CROUTE is just the tool that you're looking for.

> I really don't understand the
> C-route section yet but after reading your post I pulled up a patch that
> the mod wheel caused vibrato. I then looked at the C-route for the mod
> wheel and it read that the mod wheel was modulating Osc2 Mod 1. Is this
> the correct thinking?

  That's it.  In this case the value of the mod wheel will adjust the depth
of modulation going on in Osc2 Mod 1.  Think of a CROUTE as an assignable
VCA operating on the CV input Mod 1.

> Should I then assume that I can go to the C-route
> section and make Aftertouch modulate Osc1 or Osc2 mod 1.

  For sure.

> Would I then
> have to go to Mod 1 and set the wave, speed etc?

  It's usually best to do it the other way around: set up Mod 1 to do what you
want (such as picking the LFO or whatever) and then add the CROUTE to control
its depth.  Doing it the other way around is a pain because you can only hear
the modulation while you're pressing down a key.

> Will this not effect
> all other routes that use Mod 1?

  I'm not sure what you mean here...Mod 1 is only one modulation route, so
there will be nothing else using it.

David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie     http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
University of Waterloo         "Default is the value selected by the composer
Ontario, Canada           overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual