[A6] potential a6 owner questions

Chris Pickett chris.pickett at mail.mcgill.ca
Mon May 5 15:26:30 PDT 2003

Ok, I relistened to the list of mp3's by 3DarkHours.  Most of them I
find too trancey (but I also think they'd be perfect if one wanted to
make trance music).  Maybe it's just because the arpeggiator and reverb
seem to be turned on for a lot of them.  I suppose I also find them a
little too metallic / acidic -- but perhaps there's a way around that.
However, the following are the ones I like, and the ones with an
exclamation mark I consider totally usable as they are (I'd in fact be
quite excited to hear a track using all 9 of these patches):

Alaska1
Alaska2
AndyBells
Arplet (!)
BelowTheKick
Budapest (!)
DarkGotham
DeepAbyssBass
Depth (!)
DreamSequence
Dufus
Fanfares
FooledAgain
Halloween
HarpsiPlus (!)
Insomnia4 (!)
MellowHollow
MinimugeBass
ModernDayWarrior
Pretension1
PsychicFriend
SandWorms (!)
SawStack
SoftStrings (!)
ShiftScape1
StrawberryFlutes (!)
Stretchy
ThankYouBob
WarmStrings
WeAreFloater
WheelDownYeah
WolfBass3 (!)
XPandroPad

I'd be pretty open to another cheaper, less complicated, and older synth
if I could make at least sounds like the ones marked with an exclamation
mark, but I really have no idea where to begin.  Recommendations are
much appreciated :)

As for getting an A90 -- right now, I'm just going to get one keyboard,
but I did hear about the A90 and so will check it out again.

I guess another thing is that I'm not too interested in synths with
patches based on samples of non-electronic instruments, except perhaps
for some piano stuff (which was why I was thinking about the S90).  The
only thing I would use patches like that for is to help me arrange a
tune so that then somebody else could come in and actually play the
instrument in question.

On the other hand, I think stuff like the StrawberryFlutes patch is
totally awesome (maybe a little less vibrato would be good though).

Cheers,
Chris

P.S.  Some technical questions:

1.  Can you run external audio through just the effects processor (the
manual seems to indicate only through the filters)?

2.  What are the currently recommended accessories for this board?  I
know that some people are using a breath controller and also a
SmartMedia card or something is recommended for extra storage.  Which
specific models are the best?

3.  Did they ever get the knobs and buttons to send MIDI messages?  Some
guy at Harmony Central was making a big stink about that.

4.  If I do end up getting this sucker, do I need a sixteen channel
mixer for all 16 voices?  The Sounds on Sounds review indicates this
would be a good thing.  I kind of like the Aurora A6 mod, but I'm not
that skilled ...