[A6] Laptop musicians (was Re: What I do with my A6)

Paulo Abreu peabreu at sapo.pt
Sat Mar 15 17:52:28 PST 2003

> I enjoyed Matthew Herbert's live show - I'm sure some elements were
> pre-recorded, but he had live keys & piano, vocals (Dani Siciliano was
> doing some tweaking of her own as well, and had a couple different
> microphones that were processed differently), and was manipulating
> samples / sounds in real time

Great...we are two on this list. What a great example of an incredible live
act, with so simple means...well, and no laptop :)

And with the added value of being different at each show...eg, with Herbert
I saw the very best live song where the main instrument was a pair of
plastic water glasses and a sampling delay unit... pure rithmic fascination,
and that still in the electronic side of things (Herbert is IMO the very
best "deep" or "glitch" or "whatever kind" house act) but in the extreme
oposite side of laptop/sampling/all recorded shit show...its like those guys
announcing live shows where they appear with some exclusive previously made
remixed CDs and call it a live show...eg, Fila Brazzilia...

And another nice electronic live act  (despite the fact that I do not like
their music) its the Chemical Brothers...great solution between 2 guys in
the middle of too many synths (are they connected??) and a very good
multimedia/synchronized video at the same time.

I think that Laptop its the opposite of live show... better get some vinyl
and "play the DJ" its still more interesting...one of this days I will only
see a live act when they previously mention how it is going to be ;) After
being cheated with Thievery Corporation..."playing live" with one of them as
DJ and the other playing around with a KaossPad and some girls pretending to
sing...GO HOME!!!!

Sorry, I really hate the laptop "mushy sound" live musician thing...

Best,
Paulo