[A6] Latched sequencer mode trick

Robert van der Kamp robnet at wxs.nl
Mon Dec 1 04:39:55 PST 2003

Last weekend I found a workable solution for the lack of a
latch mode in the sequencer. Like with the arp, I like to
press a couple of keys and listen for a while and tweak the
sound, without having to keep the sustain pedal pressed for
the whole time.

It involves the use of a MIDI sequencer that presses the
sustain pedal for me, and this is how it works:

1. On an external (soft- or hardware) MIDI sequencer
dedicate a track to the Andro. Create a 1-bar looping
pattern holding a single MIDI event: CC #64 with value 127.
Since this pattern loops, the sustain pedal is pressed down
(again) by the sequencer at every bar, without letting it
go.

(I also use the hw sequencer as the master clock, and slave
to andro to that, but that is not needed to make this
work.)

2. Start the external sequencer and with the Andro's
sequencer enabled, press and release a key. The Andro
starts playing the sequence on that key. Note that you can
use the Andro's arp too with this.

3. Press another key and the Andro will sequence that key
too, allowing for complex patterns.  So every key pressed
is *added* to the current set. That's simply because the
sustain pedal is pressed down all the time by the MIDI
sequencer.

This is all very nice, but what to do if you want to clear
the current arp/sequence and enter a whole new set of keys?
The solution is very simple, release sustain mode for a
short moment using the sustain footpedal:

4. To clear the current keys and enter a new set of keys:
a) press down the sustain pedal with your foot (this has no
effect, since the pedal was already pressed down by the
MIDI sequencer),

b) release the sustain pedal the moment you play the new
key(s) on the keyboard, and

c) hold down the new keys on the keyboard for at least 1
bar, so that the programmed sustain pedal from the MIDI
sequencer takes over again. That is, wait until the start
of the next bar.

That last bit may sound complex, but it is really very
simple. Just try it.

I'm now listening to a sequenced/arped tune from the Andro
while walking around in the room. No bricks involved. ;)

- Robert